Without informal caregivers our healthcare system would collapse
Informal caregivers are volunteers working without compensation to care for a family member or friend.
- 1 in 5 Americans are caregivers at this very moment
- 1 in 3 Americans will provide care this year
- 80% of all care in America is provided by informal caregivers
- Informal caregivers provide $375 billion in unpaid services each year
If you live a normal lifespan, you will either be, or dependent upon, an informal caregiver.
When that time comes, you will discover that:
- You will labor in isolation, exhausting yourself reinventing what others already know
- There is no organized caregiver support structure and few places to turn for help
- The financial impact can be devastating
- The emotional impact can be overwhelming
- There is no training manual
- Informal caregivers are invisible within our healthcare system